Whether your customers' computers are directly connected to the Internet or in very remote or disconnected environments, you can allow customers to activate software licenses however you prefer:
- Direct online activation
- Indirect activation through a nearby computer with Internet access for disconnected devices
- Offline activation through an exchange of codes for very remote/disconnected computers
- Volume license activation for mass distributing software without fingerprinting
Sell Online with eCommerce (Optional)
Whether you choose our integrated eCommerce solution or a third party option such as our featured partner, FastSpring, integration is seamless. Full automation is available for license delivery of single purchases or subscription renewals with automatic billing. An on-demand (SaaS) account can be set up in minutes!
The integrated eCommerce process handles the whole process from the buy now button to order completion. Includes popular shopping cart features such as:
- Applying promotional discount codes
- Customizable look and feel
- Advertising cross-sells & up-sells
- Credit card processing
- Sending transaction receipt via email
- Customer eligibility identifier for upgrades and renewals
Setting up eCommerce for your software products is an important part of your business as a publisher. The internet affords instant gratification and around-the-clock convenience to your customers and provides methods for capturing new leads and sales from a global marketplace.
Check out this blog post: Choosing an eCommerce System for selling your Licensed Applications
Once a license is obtained, customers can activate your software 24 hours per day, while you set the parameters around activation using the Electronic License Activation (ELA) options.
- Set rules for activation, re-activation, and license transfer
- Custom license parameters with near-limitless extensibility
- Extend an evaluation or subscription-based license for an additional period of time
- Permit access to selected modules of a modular application
- Facilitates conversion of upgrades (e.g. immediately move up to the Platinum Edition from the Gold Edition upon receipt of payment)
We provide many activation methods, including support for both internet-connected and disconnected computers, fingerprint-based activation and volume-based activation. Read More
Distribute your software to customers online and reap the benefits that countless others have come to know. Electronic Software Delivery (ESD) is a must if your software is going to compete in the global marketplace where buyers and sellers are active 24/7/365.
ESD is available for your customers wherever they are in world, whenever they want your software.
- Limit download access to only licensed users, and log which software version is being downloaded.
- In addition to tracking End User License Agreement acceptance before allowing file downloads, limit software download access to a software maintenance subscription so that only paying customers enjoy continued access to new software versions.
- Expired maintenance customers can instantly purchase renewals to once again gain immediate access to the software updates.
How would you like to maintain control of activated applications on your customer’s computers? It is in your hands with our central licensing server and Electronic License Management (ELM).
Have a customer who hasn't paid? Revoke their license.
It is inevitable that your customers will need to transfer their software licenses at some point during the lifetime of the license. You can allow customers to do this in a self-service fashion while maintaining control.
License changes can be made on the server and the software can "refresh" the license locally either on demand or automatically.
Automatically notify customers of product updates and provide automated downloads.
When a license becomes invalidated in the licensing server as a result of one of the 4 main reasons to allow software deactivation, the protected application will continue to run until it receives notification that the license has been revoked. Read More
You have the ability to fully automate and manage a subscription version of your software. You design the parameters of how your subscription service will function, including the length of the subscription, the terms of subscription renewals and cancellations, as well as the assignment of optional grace periods. Software subscriptions can be tied to software activation, or can simply be used as a record of software maintenance expiration information.
Customer License Portal
The Customer License Portal improves your professional image by providing customers with easy ways to buy from you and manage their software licenses.
Customers can log in to a portal to see their order history, reprint receipts, download software updates, purchase upgrades, renew support contracts, register software, retrieve license keys, manage their licenses, update their contact information, and much more. The self-service functionality is convenient for customers, and also results in less work for your sales and support team.
Deployment and Hosting Options
Choose from either a shared or dedicated managed and hosted service, or a turnkey server that you host on your own IT infrastructure.
We hold a 99.9% uptime record since inception. The SoftwareKey System has processed millions of license activations and validations, a few per day for some customers and thousands per day for others.
Learn about SoftwareKey Managed Hosting Services
SoftwareKey.com has invested significant time and money in its hosting platform, using a large commercial data center with physical security, redundant cooling, redundant power grid connections (tier 4 class), UPS and generator backups that are tested regularly, as well as multiple major backbone connections to the Internet. Only duly authorized personnel are allowed inside of the data center facility, and only designated employees are allowed to connect to our servers through a Virtual Private Network. We have redundant firewalls, a commercial load-balancer, and multiple front-end web servers that operate in a load-balanced, failover configuration. We employ multiple database servers. All servers are backed-up several times per day and sent to a geographically distant data center in the unlikely event of a disaster. We use multiple third-party commercial services to monitor our hosting facility and application availability from 21 locations around the world.
Compare Hosting Options
SOLO Server is available in three different packages; you can choose from two managed services or a self-hosted server. Compare SOLO Server Packages
View the System Requirements for eCommerce and Self-Hosting
Customer Data Management and Reporting
Collect data from your potential customers before they have access to the trial version of your software. Use your existing CRM, or stay alerted and in contact using our optional trial tracking service.
Capture a valuable database of information on your customers, licenses, and sales. Accessing information about your customers becomes easier when you’re using eCommerce systems. Apply the insights gained about your most precious resource, your customers, when setting business goals.
Lots of activity is happening in the central licensing server. Real-time reports show what is going on with the server and customer licenses. Export customer and license data in PDF, Comma Separated Value (csv), and XML formats.
- Integrate with Web Services: Integrate your own eCommerce, CRM or other system with the SoftwareKey System by using the various web service interfaces available.
- Many security features to stop those attempting to guess a license key and an administrator login.