If you’ve stumbled upon this blog post as a result of a Google search, it’s safe to say you may be in the market for a licensing solution for your software product (or products). Whether you are a solopreneur or a large enterprise, shopping for a new software licensing provider can be a daunting task. A licensing system lies at the heart of your business, so it is important to consider a few things while shopping for a software licensing provider.
So, where do you start your search for a software licensing provider?
Once you begin selling your newly licensed software, it will be subjected to an ever-changing operating environment landscape: major OS upgrades, automatic updates, emergency fixes for new security vulnerabilities… the list goes on. That’s why it’s essential to choose a software licensing provider that offers outstanding post-sales customer support. No matter how extensive or powerful a licensing provider’s product features may be, product support is often more important than the features of the product itself.
To help you get started in comparing software licensing providers, we have included some important criteria below. Feel free to use these suggestions, along with specific standards of your own, to evaluate what provider works best for your particular situation:
- Where is the company located? Do they readily display contact information on their website?
- How can you contact someone at the company (e.g., live chat, email, phone, contact form)?
- Is there a telephone number you can call if you need urgent assistance with their products or services?
- How complicated is the company’s phone tree menu? And how quickly can you speak with someone who can actually answer your question?
- Does a human being answer the company’s phone, or are you required to leave a voicemail? Are phone calls and messages returned in a reasonable amount of time?
- Is there a self-service support portal and/or KnowledgeBase (KB) available to help you solve problems on your own?
- How often are new software releases posted? Is it easy to find detailed release notes or changelogs for each version published? (Since your software will be including a licensing library, it is important to know all changes with each release before attempting to upgrade your software.) And is there recent news available on the company’s website?
- Does the company offer suggestions, tips, and other forms of helpful information on their blog?
- Are there testimonials or success stories published on the company’s website? If so, are authentic company names and photos/logos attached to them?
How SoftwareKey measures up
As a software licensing provider, here are our answers to the questions above:
- We’re located in sunny Winter Garden, Florida—just outside Orlando and practically in Mickey Mouse’s backyard! Our contact information is listed at the bottom of each page of our website.
- You can communicate with us via live chat, email, or by giving us a call. Every now and then, we even get some snail mail! We do, however, draw the line at tin cans and string.
- You can reach us via telephone at +1 321 221 1497.
- Our easy-to-navigate phone system has three menu options. Somebody will usually answer your inquiries within one business day unless we need to open a support ticket. In these cases, you should expect an initial response from one of our specialists within one business day.
- During regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM EST), your call will most likely be answered by a living, breathing human being. If all of our lines happen to be busy, or if our offices are closed, feel free to leave a voicemail. Barring unforeseen circumstances, messages left during regular business hours will be returned that same day. Messages left after hours will be returned as soon as possible the next business day.
- At SoftwareKey, we strive to not only provide premium products but also to provide the best customer service in the industry. It’s what we’re known for, and something in which we take a lot of pride.
- Software releases are subject to project schedules, but we release updates several times a year. Meticulously detailed notes for each release are published on our website. Here’s a quick sample.
- We offer tons of useful information regarding our products, general licensing tips, and more on our blog.
- We have testimonials and success stories scattered throughout our website, but you can also find them on our Customer Stories and Testimonials pages. We’ve included one of our favorites below.
Our company develops software for risk management and quantitative risk analysis. We're very impressed with the license management and license activation features of the SoftwareKey System. Implementation is intuitive and well explained in the manual and samples. We are very happy with the SoftwareKey System's set of tools - we have relied on them for more than 10 years now and they have never failed us.
Their client support is also brilliant - always helpful and timely.
Timour Koupeev, Vose Software
If you would be interested in learning more about the SoftwareKey System and how it measures up to your specific use cases, feel free to reach out and schedule a consultation! We also offer a full-featured free trial of the SoftwareKey System for you to explore on your own.
No matter which software licensing provider you ultimately decide to partner with, we hope this post has given you a good starting foundation in your search.